Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tropical Island Fairy Garden

Finally, the weather is nice enough to go outside and build my tropical island fairy garden! I use a large stainless steel mixing bowl from the kitchen supply store. You can get them other places, but they are far cheaper there. My husband drills a small hole in the bottom for me. Then I spray paint the inside and outside. I used a mix of three blues to get an ocean feel here.
The next day, I gather my supplies; potting soil, styrofoam packing peanuts, blue aquarium gravel, natural aquarium gravel, plants, gloves, shovel, and decorations!
I like to use the styrofoam packing peanuts to fill in the bottom instead of rocks or gravel because they are so much lighter.
 On top of those goes the potting soil. Make sure to leave plenty of room for your gravel!
 This looks about right!

 Now I make holes for the plants and plant them. They are a little off center because I want them on the island, but with enough room on one side for the house. I decided to use a rabbit's foot fern and a dracaena because they look sort of tropical, but I think, are easy to care for. I am definitely no expert on houseplants!
 Pat the soil down around the plants with a slight mound in the middle.
 Then I water it thoroughly and let it drain for awhile before the next step.
Now I put the plain gravel in. I decided to use gravel instead of sand because I have found through experience that the sand tends to mix with the potting soil. I'm afraid it would mix with the blue gravel as well. So, this is a rocky island.
 
 Again, make a mound in the middle.

Now it's time for the ocean! I found this beautiful mixed blues gravel at the pet store. That's also where I get my natural color gravel. It's so much nicer then what you find at the hardware store. Pour it in a ring around the outside.


It's beautiful already!
I added a little more natural gravel to the center.


 Then I get to decorate. First the beach hut, then two beachcombing gnomes. One has a pineapple and the other has a surfboard. I found this little bamboo statue at the pet store when I got the gravel. It's actually for an aquarium, but the aquarium aisle is full of cool stuff that is perfect for fairy gardens! And finally, a couple of tikis!


 Aloha!

1 comment: